Symbolism and Metaphor
By Wednesday, post your response of at least 150-200 words to the Discussion Area.
***** Do not use any outside sources! This should be all your own analysis.*****
- Choose a NEW poem to analyze from the assigned reading list. (The reading list is found in the Syllabus, and all of our course readings are in the class eBooks. Click on the book’s title in the Syllabus.)
- Title your post with the poem’s title.
- Do not use the poem you analyzed in Week 1’s discussion or essay assignment.
- Review the Closed List in the thread starters to make sure the poem is still available.
- Read the thread starters before getting started.
You may use the following questions to develop a paragraph response to your new poem, or you may discuss another more appropriate literary element (e.g., imagery, characterization, theme) as best fits your selection:
- What are some of the key symbols and/or metaphors in the poem, and how are they used?
- What are some of the meanings they convey to readers?
- How do these elements enrich the poem and deepen your understanding of its themes?
Remember to provide evidence for your claims in the form of quoted passages from the poem. Quotations, paraphrases, and summaries should be cited according to APA rules of style, including in-text and reference citations. Quoted material should not exceed 25% of the document. Check grammar and spelling before posting.