- 16 hours 5:43 AMBSCOM/410: Media And SocietyYou know your stuff!Your grade is above average in this course. Keep it up!
How am I doing?
Load 1 more stream notificationSkip to main content
Identify a national story that is currently in the news.
Select two of the following major media outlets that are both covering the story:
· ABC News
· CBS News
· Fox News
Search for coverage of the news story you have selected from each of the two outlets.
Note: The stories you choose to compare may take the form of a live broadcast, video, audio, or printed word (e.g., you may select a CNN live broadcast and an ABC written article).
Write a paper of at least 1,000 words as a Word document that addresses the following:
· Do both media outlets use a traditional journalistic perspective in presenting the story? Explain your response.
· Are the sources used in the news stories appropriate or credible? Why or why not?
· Is the message of the story the same as presented by each media outlet? What is the message of each story?
· Did one story seem more believable to you than the other? Explain.
· As outlined in your textbook, truthfulness, neutrality, and accuracy are three criteria for determining the quality of news. Did each story have all three? Did one story have more or less of one of the three qualities? What prompted you to determine this?
· Does either outlet present the story in a manner that is biased? If so, how did you recognize the bias? If not, how did the story appear to avoid bias?
· If one or both of the stories were biased in some way, what are your suggestions for making them more fair and balanced?
· Does either story include overtones or elements of racial or gender stereotypes? If so, describe.
· Do any of the stories appear to be incomplete or require additional context for viewers to fully understand the meaning?
· Could different types of audiences interpret the stories in different ways? If so, in what ways?
Include a title page at the front of your document showing the correct assignment title, the course name, your name, and the date consistent with APA format for title pages. Do not use font larger than 12 point, please.